Sunday, March 4, 2012

field trips and frustrations.

Wednesday we took a fabulous art and music field trip in Kalamazoo {and yes, for those of your who do not live in Michigan, there really is a Kalamazoo *grin*}

Our first stop was to a Glass Blowing Factory. The kids were absolutely fascinated by it! 8 volunteers were even able to help cut the hot glass. It was really neat!
Our second stop was to the Kalamazoo Symphony. I am always a little nervous about this since it is a whole hour of sitting through orchestra music ... but the kids did GREAT! It did help that we were in the very first row! It was a really neat experience and the kids genuinely enjoyed themselves.

The last stop was to a history and science museum. They had the neatest hands-on activities. I think I may have enjoyed it as much {or more} than the kiddos *smile*
The two "hits" were definitely the news station, the diner {where they got to serve each other} and the general store ... what fun!
 Yes, that is me ...I love dressing up - we had a blast in this room buying and selling, and talking in old fashioned accents ;)
 Coal mining was a hit too ...
 Who can resist a good photo op! 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Needless to say, the frustration did not come from the field trip ... since we had such a fantastical time!

The frustration is coming from READING. 
I try very hard to follow reading workshop to the best of my ability. My district gives us a reading basal program {of which I am NOT a big fan of} which I generally only use the leveled readers from for guided reading and such. With that said, I am pretty much on my own to figure out any thing I want to incorporate concerning reading and writing workshop since they do not send us to any workshops. I feel that I have good systems in place with Daily 5, CAFE, mini-lessons, guided reading groups and  independent reading time but I can't seem to mesh them together into one, smooth, effective block. I am struggling with figuring out what, when and where. 

I am curious to know how those of you who have successful reading workshops figure out the following: 
1} Without a text book telling you, how do you figure out what order is the best for teaching strategies/concepts/genres? It is truly just your own judgment? 
2} How do you gauge your time on each section/strategy/genre/ etc.
3} When, during workshop time, do you do the actual activities that go with the strategy or concept (like summarizing or point of view) 

I would LOVE some ideas or perhaps a link to a blog you may have posted concerning one of these areas. 
I have learned SO MUCH from all of you - really I don't think I would be going out of this limb alone if it weren't for all of your amazing ideas and inspirations!




2 comments:

  1. Farr.org and readworks.org are two of my favorite resources. This might help? http://www.readworks.org/lessons/recommended-scope-sequence

    I also love Lucy Calkins for writers workshop. She has terrific books and there are lots of teachers with units and lessons based on her books!

    Don't worry. Even with the great programs out there, everyone has to adjust and modify to find what works for them and their classroom and their kids. You'll get there! It's just that teachers need differentiation too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your awesome link! That is definitely an amazing resource. I love Lucy Calkins too ... though I am struggling to match her style to my district style - again, I'm going out a limb alone!
      Thank you for your encouraging words :)

      Delete

Leave some love ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...