Saturday, March 1, 2014

Coordinating Grid ELA/SS Integration

So, I know, I do not teach math. However, my partner teacher did some thing so fun with the kids that I just HAD to share! During their unit on coordinating grids, she discovered a website through Teaching in Room 6's blog, called WorksheetWorks.com, that allows you to write in any phrase, it will plot out the coordinates for it, and the kids can find them. A-MAZING!
The potential for this is limitless, one could do math with literature quotes during a lit. group, put in famous quotes from famous historical characters (brains already churning about my Revolutionary War unit!), I mean, there are so many cool things that can be done with this resource to integrate math into other areas.
She had them do half of the quote, then find their partner to complete the phrase - fun way to have the kids infer what the other half of their quote was. We have a really artistic group this year, so she also had them draw a poster picture to go with their quote. Here are a couple that I snagged a picture of before they were taken home, sad that I missed most of them!
NOTE: We were very unaware of the missing H in CHUM bucket on this lovely poster until AFTER it was sent home and I was putting this picture up on the blog. .. my husband said that this was definitely worthy of "Kids say the Darndest Things" or CHIVE baha! oops. 

In other news, we wrapped up the Winter Olympics 2014 in Sochi as a school last week with a special "Dress like an Olympian" Day. We have also been celebrating the games through our reading groups :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...