Saturday, February 10, 2018

Vocabulary Continuums

This is a very simple lesson, but I really liked how well it seems to help my students understand the different foreign polices AND practice our vocabulary - two very "unfun" birds. One stone. 

We had studied early foreign policy along with the War of 1812 prior to this activity. Today, we took our vocabulary notes, I had them take out whiteboards and make a continuum. 
One side had "No Involvement" while the other end of the spectrum had "Total Involvement". The kids then, independently, placed our vocabulary words on the spectrum where they believed it should go. 
Monroe Doctrine
Embargos 
War of 1812 (Declaration of War)
Peace Treaties 
Isolationism 
Neutrality 
They then got up and found other people from different groups to share their words.
I love this simple, authentic activities that help reinforce skills and vocabulary while allowing students to really take charge of their learning and THINK for themselves. 

 We also did a quick review over the War of 1812 by going around the room and reading a powerpoint lesson. Instead of presenting the lesson and having the kids take notes, I simply printed it out and placed the information around the room. Student then walked around and read each slide, filling out an I SEE, I WONDER, I LEARNED sheet. Another SUPER simple way of giving students more autonomy with their learning and thinking. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY LIFE MOMENT: During the fall, my husband and I participate in our University's Intramural flag football program. We are going on 11 years, since our Freshman year. I just have to give huge shoutout this man of mine - his team, Old and Slow, won the Championship game! 
#Stillgotit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...