Thursday, February 25, 2021

West African Biography Griot Mask Project


As a our project assessment for our study on Medieval West African Empires, I have students conduct research on a Medieval West African leader. 

Griot masks were an important part of West African culture. They were used to tell stories of ancestors and to keep their legacies alive. Playing off this cultural tradition, I have students create a unique griot mask of their West African leader using elements from their biography to create unique designs, symbols, or colors on the mask. 

Some Great West African Leaders: Mansa Musa, Queen Amina, Queen Nzinga, Shaka Zulu, Shamba Bolongongo, King Sonni Ali, King Mwana Ngana Ndumba Tembo, Queen Asantewa, King Oba Oduduwa, King Bahanzin Hossu Bowelle – aka. The Shark King, and more! 

NOTE: I am aware that some of these leaders were after the "Medieval" period, but the goal was exposure to West African leadership, so I allowed any leader up through colonization. 

I feel my students did a fantastic job of blending their biographical knowledge along with the creation of unique Griot Mask! 

If you are interested in this WEST AFRICAN BIOGRAPHY GRIOT ACTIVITY, it is available on my TPT. 


      



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...