Friday, November 4, 2011

Sequencing

As I am writing this post I am realizing how BEHIND I am with my blogging - I have been faithfully taking pictures of activities yet haven't found the time to post anything! ... and so here I am blogging quickly on my teacher work day ... Sshhhhhhhhh! :)

We are currently learning about "sequencing" in reading ... so here is a sequence of this weeks actives
(notice all the sequencing clue words and phrases *wink* I know I missed a few!) 

As mentioned before, we have been studying "sequencing" in reading.
I started the week off my having the students create sequence story time lines. First I modeled one and we did it as a class, then individually they did it on their own time lines during independent reading time. I definitely had some kids that struggled with this at first and this helped me identify them right away. We discussed how easily we could use these time lines to create a summary.
What does sequencing help a reader to do? (anchor chart)
  • Understand what is happening in the story 
  • Summarize what the story was about
  • Remember what we read
During my guided reading groups (which I am working VERY hard this year to focus more on) each group did sequence activities - example,  in my low group we ordered story event strips correctly with a partner. 
Yesterday, we did one of my favorite lessons. As an intro hook, I read to them "The Butter Battle" by Dr. Seuss (a FAVORITE every year!) and then told them that there was a CORRECT way to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
 In partners, I have them spread out around the room and list the correct steps to making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 
NOTE: You will need enough bread for each student to have at least one piece!
After that we meet back on the carpet with me standing behind a table and I begin to create their sandwiches based off of their "sequence lists" Of course, there are always the ones who's sound like this "Step 3: Spread the peanut butter" and the kids reaction is priceless as you begin spreading the peanut butter and jelly in your hand! This is a classic (I still remember my 4th grade teacher doing this to teach us "How to" paragraphs!) but still wonderful!
 This one ^^ was definitely one that got spread on my hand :)

Today, we identified sequence words on an anchor chart, identified them while we read a mentor text (Legend of Sleeping Bear Dunes by  - especially if you live in the Michigan area, this is a MUST read aloud!) and then identified sequence clue words during their independent reading time and list them in their readers notebooks. They also created sequence strips of an activity along with illustrations. I plan on laminating these when they are done, placing them in baggies, trading with a friend, and putting them in the correct sequence. I may just have to snag a few for next year to use during guided reading groups they turned out so darn cute!)
I am happy to say that after a week of sequencing, those struggling with the concept on Monday had it solid by Friday!! *success* 

To finish off this weeks post ... I thought I would share a random activity my partner teacher and I do every year. She does pumpkin math every year ending with the students carving a face in their pumpkins with geometric shapes ... the next day 5th grade participates in the annual "Pumpkin Chuck!" The principal opens the roof access for us and we climb up, pumpkins and all, onto the roof! Our system of getting  the pumpkins up is pretty ghetto and consists of a rope, hook and circular laundry basket :) We then chuck them off the roof to the waiting cheering/yelling/ jumping kiddos below :0)

Totally random, but it is one of the greatest highlights of the season! Our principal comes out every year just to join in the fun! The kids always do a great job of cleaning up all the pumpkin pieces and the day goes on - just with a little extra pizazz :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...