Sunday, November 20, 2011

Veteran's Day

As always, life has gotten ahead of me! Here are just a couple of activities we did for Veteran's Day ...

Our school does a special Veteran's assembly and invites Veterens in the community to come. Each class does something for the program. This year, the kids made signs to go with the lyrics of the Star Spangled Banner. The students sang the song and held up their signs at their designated verse. It turned out REALLY CUTE! *proud smile*




One of my students has a father who is currently serving over in Afganistan as well as a dear friend of mine from high school. As a class, we wrote Thank You letters to both of these idividuals and their platoons. We talked about what it would be like to be a soldier, how they may be feelings, why their job is so important to all of us. The kids really got into this! I was so proud because I really feel that they understood our military men and woman's sacrifice. I sent half of them with my student to send to her father and I sent the other half to my friend ... the kids really enjoyed this! I put on some patriotic music and they wrote and wrote and WROTE!

Concerning the random Sponge Bob sentence ... I think he is thanking the soldier for protecting the Bill of Rights - one of them is freedom of the press (media) We JUST talked about that ... I think that is where Sponge Bob comes in ... made me laugh!
 We also placed a ribbon outside of school to show that we remember and miss our soldiers!

A couple of my girls wanted to decorate our door to look more "patriotic American" so here is some of their fine artwork :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...